Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a dangerous, odorless gas that can cause serious harm to you and your family. As such, installing an effective carbon monoxide detector in Salem, VA, installed in your home is essential. Knowing what to do next could mean the difference between life and death if an alarm goes off.
- Immediately evacuate everyone from the home: When a CO alarm goes off, getting everyone out of the house as quickly as possible is essential. Don’t try to discover what triggered the alarm; just leave immediately.
- Call emergency services: Call 911 or your local fire department and tell them what’s happening once you’re outside. Keep everyone away from the house until further instructions have been given by emergency personnel. You should also call an emergency electrician in Roanoke, VA.
- Open windows and doors: If safe, open them to let fresh air in and disperse any CO lingering inside. This will help prevent the hazards of carbon monoxide.
- Turn off any gas appliances: After you’ve evacuated your home, it’s a good idea to turn off any gas appliances that may be running. Doing so will help prevent further buildup of CO in the house.
- Have the alarm serviced: Once everything is under control, have an experienced technician look at the detector to ensure it’s in good working order. This will help ensure that it can properly detect any future instances of CO in the home.
Understanding and following the proper precautions can help keep your family safe from this invisible danger. If you need more advice on protecting your home from CO, don’t hesitate to contact a certified HVAC professional.
If you need electricians in Cave Spring, VA, don’t forget our team at Cline Electrical Service. We ensure to provide you with the best-in class services at competitive prices. Call us at 540-380-3886 today!